Thursday, December 15, 2011

Cleaning out the Wreckage

In my mom's last post, she suggests giving yourself a mental break from the cold and darkness of December. This time of year is cold and dark, and the animal within us responds to the change of season by habitually becoming more internal. It is a time for reflection and solace, creature comforts and internal organizing.

Winter is also a time to deal with things, all the thing you forgot about in the balmy daze of Summer. For me, it is a time to deal with finances. I am using the cold and early darkness as an excuse to sit inside with a pen and paper and get down to the nitty-gritty nastiness of finances in your 20's. I was afraid to start, but it actually seems to make the cold and dark more bearable, more purposeful.

Try it. Pick something you have been avoiding; some nagging underbelly of your life, and DEAL with it. Give yourself imaginary gold stars after you spend time working on it. Pair your task with creature comforts to make it more enjoyable, aka, I like to drink wine while I work on my finances. Get down and dirty with your loose ends and use this period of cold and dark to deal with them. When Spring arrives, you will feel lighter; more deserving of the levity of those warmer months.


No comments:

Post a Comment